Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ctrl+F: Find

Coming out of college I assumed everyone knew about the Ctrl+F shortcut. I ventured into the workplace and discovered I was wrong. Many of you will know this trick but some of you will not so I feel I need share it. Don't fee bad if you are the later, I didn't learn it until my freshman year of college.

If you are looking for a keyword, phrase, sentence, number, etc. on a webpage or document hold down the Ctrl button and press the f key. A little box will appear in your window, usually in the top right corner but it can be in any corner of your window. Type the text you are searching for inside of that box and press the Enter key. If the text you entered is found in the window it will automatically scroll to and highlight the first result. If you didn't find what you were searching for, continue pressing the Enter key until you find the result you are searching for.

You can save tons of time using this shortcut. If you don't like using shortcuts, make this the 1 shortcut you do use. If you are a Mac user press Command-f for the same functionality.


No comments:

Post a Comment